Shift4 Payments and
What Shift4 DoesFor Choice Hotels
A Secure, All-in-One Hospitality Solution
- • Shift4 and Choice Hotels have partnered to bring you a secure, fully integrated payment processing solution
- • You can monitor your entire business (front desk, restaurant, and retail) all from a single sign-on
- • You’ll keep everything from our industry-leading EMV, tokenization, and P2PE technologies to the unique auditing, settlement, fraud prevention, and gift card capabilities.
- • High-speed, private-line connectivity without hidden fees or maintenance costs
- • Shift4 complies with (or exceeds) all PCI and card association requirements for security — helping you stay PCI-compliant
- • 99.98% uptime means we’re always ready to process transactions whenever you need to
Lighthouse Transaction Manager:
A Complete Auditing Solution
- • With our pre-settlement auditing tools, you can review batches for mistakes or missing transactions before they process — saving you from delayed payment or added fees
- • We help you avoid additional fees and fines (downgrades) — savings that often add up to more than you pay for our services in the first place
- • Simple nightly audits mean shorter month-end reconciliations
- • We process direct to AMEX — saving you from added fees from your processor
- • Our 24-month rolling transaction archive makes it easy to research and defend your business against chargebacks — saving you time and money
24/7 Customer Support
- • We’re here for you 24/7/365 — simply call our Preferred Choice Hotels Support line at 1.866.9SHIFT4
- • Our clearly defined escalation policy means we get your problem fixed quickly — even in the middle of the night
- • Our simple installation process can be done over the phone — whenever it is convenient for you
FAQFREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Hot Topics for Choice and Shift4 Payments Users
What is the Choice Hotels’ Merchant Acquirer Initiative (MAI)?
The MAI project was launched to convert all franchisees to select merchant services providers that have contracted rates with Choice Hotel International.
How does MAI impact my service with Shift4 Payments?
Shift4 Payments is still the preferred provider of payment solutions, including our secure payment gateway, EMV, tokenization, PCI-validated P2PE, and our advanced auditing platform, Lighthouse Transaction Manager.
In addition, Shift4 is now serving as the key injection facility (KIF) for Choice Hotels during and after the MAI. Our PCI-certified KIF and world-class Support team will help ensure a successful processor transition for thousands of Choice properties.
When will a dedicated EMV solution be available to me?
Shift4 Payments and Choice Hotels have rolled out a comprehensive, fully integrated EMV solution that goes hand-in-hand with choiceADVANTAGE and delivers all of the time-and-cost-saving features you’ve come to love from Shift4’s Lighthouse Transaction Manager. Our integrated solution is compatible with the top-of-the-line Ingenico iSC Touch 480 device, which will be shipped directly to you as part of the arrangement Shift4 Payments and Choice Hotels have coordinated on your behalf.
What do I need to do during this transition to EMV?
Shift4 Payments and Choice Hotels are handling everything to ensure that it’s an easy transition for you. All you have to do is plug in the iSC Touch 480 device(s) you receive and start accepting chip cards!
Can Shift4 help me release an authorization?
We are regularly asked if we can assist with this and the short answer is no. Unfortunately, we are unable to release authorizations that have already been processed.
The authorization comes to Shift4 Payments from the processor after they have verified with the guest’s issuing bank that they have enough credit available to cover the charge. The guest’s bank is the only organization that can remove any authorizations from the card.
So, as much as we’d love to help you remove authorizations, we can’t. It’s beyond our control. Your best bet is to call the 800-number listed on the back of your client’s card and ask them for assistance. You can also check out this tutorial video that can walk you through this process.
How do I find a transaction in Lighthouse Transaction Manager?
First, log in to Lighthouse Transaction Manager and follow these steps:
- Go to the tab that says Current and click Search.
- In the Search box, type an asterisk “*” and the last 4 digits of the card number used in the transaction you are looking for (e.g., type in *1234).
- Go to the Transactions to Search box and click Select All. This will search both Current and Archived transactions.
- The transaction you are looking for should appear. If there is an “A” after the invoice number, it is an Archived transaction — one that has already been batched.
Instructions on performing more detailed searches can be found on the right side of the Search page.
I have a problem transaction. How do I fix it?
A problem transaction has a red circle to the left with an exclamation point — not to be mistaken with a credit transaction, which has a green box, but red numbers for the amount. A problem transaction must be fixed or hidden before you can close a batch. Always audit your batches prior to closing them to be sure that you are fully funded for your transactions. Resolutions to the three most common transaction problems are below.
Insufficient Authorization: First, try clicking the Batch Authorization button at the bottom of the page to see if a new authorization can be received. If that doesn’t work, click into the transaction and then click Online Edit, verify the amount that is needed, uncheck Auth Only, and click Submit. If possible, the system will get additional authorization and convert the transaction to a good sale.
Invalid Authorization: You have several options for settling an invalid authorization.
- If you have the full card number, call your voice referral center to get a valid authorization. Then, create a new transaction by clicking Offline Entry and enter the desired transaction information including the authorization code obtained.
- You can try obtaining an electronic authorization by creating a new transaction using Online Entry by entering the card number and transaction information. Uncheck the Auth Only box if you wish to finalize the sale.
- If you do not have the full card number, you can try obtaining an electronic authorization by using the Clone option. Once one of these steps has been accomplished, the original invoice will need to be voided.
Decline: You may see an error message next to the signature box that says “Declined. Min Tol. $0.00, Max Tol. $0.00.” This is what we call a true decline and we cannot force a true decline through. You’ll need to contact the customer and ask for another form of payment. Before you’ll be able to close your batch, the transaction will need to be either hidden or deleted/voided.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to call our Preferred
Choice Hotels Support line at 1.866.9SHIFT4. We’re here for you 24/7/365.
Shift4 employs an in-house team of experts who are fully trained to support our merchant customers. Our clearly defined escalations policy means we get your problem fixed quickly — even in the middle of the night. For immediate assistance, call our Preferred Choice Hotels Support line at 1.866.9SHIFT4. Technicians are available 24/7/365.
You can also email email@example.com for technical support questions or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance with a processor change or other account-related issues. Emails are typically answered within 24 hours. You may also contact us by filling out the form below.